[Malte] Maria Rizzo/Decaro
Good Evening, 

I am trying to track down a certain Maria Rizzo born in 1720 in Birgu (Malta).  

I am trying to find the death date. According to this website she died in 1787 on the 6th of June in Birgu. However, when I went personally to check the death parish records of Birgu there is no reference to Maria Rizzo. There is also a mistake. She was not married to a Decaro but her uncle was a Decaro. 

Can you help me, please? Where did you find that she died in 1787? This will help me a lot as I am writing a case study on this Maria Rizzo. 

Many thanks & well done on the website!   Shy

RG.
  Répondre
Hello,

You found an interesting case !

We have done this transcription using an index made by a priest.

As you can see :
"DECARO-RIZZO MARIA [wife of] DECARO XXXX [daughter of] RIZZO JOSEPH [died at] 68 years old the 06/06/1787 [page] 9"

This parish register is now online : "MMML6031 - A.P. Vittoriosa Def. 05 1786-1837" (https://www.vhmml.org/readingRoom/view/209715).
But the page 8 and 9 are missing !
The last death on page 7 is dated the 23/01/1787 and the next one (on page 10) is dated the 15/07/1787 (no death in 6 months... weird because there is at least 20 deaths by month in Birgu in this timeframe).
So clearly it not a misnumbering but a missing page.

But it is weird because the page 8 is the back of the page 7, and the 9 is the front of the page 10.
So for me, it's more a forgotten digitization. Or the back page of the page 7 is the page 10, so in that case there is a loose leaf somewhere (or lost forever).

Since you go personally to the church, do you remember the page you see ? Maybe you can return to the church to ask explicitly to see the page 8 and 9 (and take 2 pictures if you can ;-) .

Good luck
N.
  Répondre
Good Morning!

WOW! Thank you so much for your help! I am so glad I messaged you. Smile 

I will go and check again next week and I will update you on the situation. I will take pictures and send them to you if you wish. 

I don't understand why they are saying she married a Decaro because her mother's family were Decaro. She lived with them when her parents died because I checked the Status Animarum of the parish of Birgu and another document I found at the National Library claims she never married so I am very intrigued now!

Thank you so much for your help & well done again for this amazing website.

Good day
RG. 

(23-04-2024, 21:05)NSV a écrit : Hello,

You found an interesting case !

We have done this transcription using an index made by a priest.

As you can see :
"DECARO-RIZZO MARIA [wife of] DECARO XXXX [daughter of] RIZZO JOSEPH [died at] 68 years old the 06/06/1787 [page] 9"

This parish register is now online : "MMML6031 - A.P. Vittoriosa Def. 05 1786-1837" (https://www.vhmml.org/readingRoom/view/209715).
But the page 8 and 9 are missing !
The last death on page 7 is dated the 23/01/1787 and the next one (on page 10) is dated the 15/07/1787 (no death in 6 months... weird because there is at least 20 deaths by month in Birgu in this timeframe).
So clearly it not a misnumbering but a missing page.

But it is weird because the page 8 is the back of the page 7, and the 9 is the front of the page 10.
So for me, it's more a forgotten digitization. Or the back page of the page 7 is the page 10, so in that case there is a loose leaf somewhere (or lost forever).

Since you go personally to the church, do you remember the page you see ? Maybe you can return to the church to ask explicitly to see the page 8 and 9 (and take 2 pictures if you can ;-) .

Good luck
N.
  Répondre
Uhm, I think the priest who made the index didn't understand the registry (maybe on the register is not clearly explained).

She have a double name, so the priest used one name as her husband name.
But yes maybe she is a RIZZO DECARO.
But weird that DECARO is put before RIZZO.
But I read some wills where the testators asked explicity to put his name first to obtain the heritage.
Could be the case.

Don't hesitate to post your case study here.maybe others have the same ancestors. Or the strategy used to find solution could be reused elsewhere

N.
  Répondre
Good afternoon,

It is confirmed that Maria Decaro Rizzo was not married. I have obtained a photo from the parish of Birgu and it reads: Maria Decaro Rizzo an: 68 circa fil: incappillis qdam Josephi Rizzo...

Incappillis in Latin means unmarried.

It is very very interesting that she has a double-barrel surname.

Thanks,
Rachel
  Répondre

Atteindre :

Utilisateur(s) parcourant ce sujet : 1 visiteur(s)