[Malte] Mellieha Parish Records
Hi there, 

I was just wondering if Geneanum would ever include marriage records from Mellieha parish?

There are a few ancestors of mine where I am a bit stuck, I am to a higher degree, confident they got married in Mellieha, given their childrens marriages were all from Mellieha. However, they most likely got married after 1843 which was when Mellieha became a parish but I think before 1863 (The beginning of the Public Registry)

I live in Australia and am part of the genealogy facebook group for Malta. 

I will attach the list of these ancestors that I am stuck on with their childs name, birth and marriage as reference

Salvatore Bonanno and Carmela Debono
Daughter: Maria Bonnano b. Mellieha 1864 and m. 16/081884 Mellieha to Giovanni Cini

Giuseppe Bartolo and Maria Deguara 
Daughter: Antonia Bartolo b. Mellieha 1870 and m. 28/04/1888 Mellieha to Pietro Grima

Saverio Bonello and Margherita Bartolo
Son: Giuseppe Bonello b. Mellieha 1858 and m. 18/08/1886 to Concetta Attard

Stefano Attard and Carmela Borg
Daughter: Concetta Attard b. Mellieha 1865 and m. 18/08/1886 to Giuseppe Bonello

I am fairly confident that these couples got married in this grey zone between 1843-1863 in Mellieha only given the information I currently have. 

Any advice or help to further the tree would be highly appreciated. Thank you so much.
  Répondre
Hello,

Yes, Mellieha records are still in a grey area.
But it only depends on you to make it happen :-)

There is a transcription only available on site in the National Archives of Malta for the marriages of Mellieha from 1845 to 1986 (Archive name : GLC-08-04-055).
But you can ask the National archives (customercare.archives@gov.mt) to get a copy of these records on a specific timeframe (for example 1845 to 1863).
They charged 0,5 euros (0.83AUD) by pages. Since there is 20-30 marriages by pages, I think on 20 years timeframe, it would be not so much page (they will tell you).

After that, you can, as other benevolent contributors, send us the archive.
And we will handle the transcription and made it available for all maltese's descendants (especially in this case for australian ones who are especially interested by this timeframe).

N.
  Répondre
A sample of the kind of records you will obtain.

Cospicua marriages in 1843 :

Répondre
(17-04-2024, 08:42)NSV a écrit : A sample of the kind of records you will obtain.

Cospicua marriages in 1843 :

Ok thanks so much. 

So from my understanding. The middle column is Fathers name and last column is Mothers name plus her maiden name of the couple?
Also, would you know how long it takes for it to send through. I have payed and put down the request
  Répondre
Yes you are right.
But the details depend on the priest, so we will see how the registers was handle in Mellieha.
I don't know how many times it would take. I supposed a couple of weeks

N.
  Répondre
(17-04-2024, 13:22)NSV a écrit : Yes you are right.
But the details depend on the priest, so we will see how the registers was handle in Mellieha.
I don't know how many times it would take. I supposed a couple of weeks

N.

Good news. I have received the folder of the marriage indexes of Mellieha from 1845-1870. It is a total of 22 pages. Luckily on there, was all four married couples I had been stuck on. And now through geneanum I went spiralling through their ancestors and even found some siblings of other known ancestors in my tree. Thanks so much for the suggestion. How would I send the folder to you? Through this post here or via email...?

Also quick question regarding one of my ancestors on geneanum. The marriage of Antonio Bartolo and Maria Agius (1837) states that the husband "époux élevé par Francesco BARTOLO et Margarita CAMMILLERI de C. Gharghur." Translating this says he was 'raised' by. Does this mean Antonio's listed parents (francesco and Margarita) are not his biological parents?
  Répondre
Oh, that was very quick (much quicker than I expected).
You can send the folder to contact@geneanum.com

Yes, now you are in infernal spiral on finding more and more ancestors.
I suggest you to don't go to quickly and checking all the steps.

Yes it means that it's not her biological parents. Could be hard to find the right one (or simply impossible).

I'm glad that my advice unlock your tree.

N.
  Répondre

Atteindre :

Utilisateur(s) parcourant ce sujet : 1 visiteur(s)