[Malte] Orphan child in convent?
My great great grandmother (Carmela Brown) died somewhere around 1891 to 1895. We think it was when she was visiting Turkey.
Her son, my grandfather George Brown was 7 to 11 years old at the time. We heard that he had a younger sister who had to go into an orphanage/convent when the mom died. Carmela may have died giving birth. He never knew his sister.

Does anyone know how I would find out where this sister would have been placed, or if she died as well? Unfortunately I have no dates or names.
  Répondre
Hello,

She could have placed in hospital in Valetta.
Back then, orphanage were in hospital.
Also in couvent, or in her extend family

Before searching where this sister where would have been placed, you have to searched the "standard" information.

- Where do George go when his mother died ? He was minor, so it would have been also placed
- "Brown", i supposed it's her married name, an english one.
- What happened to the father ?
- George was baptized ? Catholic ? Anglican ?
- George born in Malta ?
- Carmela were married to whom ? Married in Malta ?

I think the first goal is to find all children of Carmela BROWN in order to know the name and the aged of this sister.
  Répondre
(17-03-2023, 13:18)NSV a écrit : Hello,

She could have placed in hospital in Valetta.
Back then, orphanage were in hospital.
Also in couvent, or in her extend family

Before searching where this sister where would have been placed, you have to searched the "standard" information.

- Where do George go when his mother died ? He was minor, so it would have been also placed
- "Brown", i supposed it's her married name, an english one.
- What happened to the father ?
- George was baptized ? Catholic ? Anglican ?
- George born in Malta ?
- Carmela were married to whom ? Married in Malta ?

I think the first goal is to find all children of Carmela BROWN in order to know the name and the aged of this sister.

- Carmela’s maiden name was Cachia. 
- Frederick Brown married Carmela in 1882 in Vittoriosa 
Frederick was a British sailor who was in the Royal Navy. He was away at sea most of the time. He was pensioned back in England by 1897. 
- George was born in Malta in 1884 and baptized as Catholic in Vittoriosa
- when his mom died, George supposedly was looked after by relatives in Turkey and then went to England to live with grandparents (his fathers parents)  

I have the birth certificate of my grandfather George Brown. I have not been able to find any records of a daughter born. I have emailed the parish in Birgu but get no responses.
  Répondre

Atteindre :

Utilisateur(s) parcourant ce sujet : 1 visiteur(s)