[Tunisie] Marriage Records Brick Wall
Hi 

I am searching for the marriage record of my great grandparents. Each was born in Sicily, but emigrated to Tunisia sometime in the early 20th century and then came to the united states in 1910. This site (amazing) has been able to find and post the baptismal records for two of their children who were born in Tunis. But so far, no marriage record. I have searched so many records in their home towns in Sicily that I actually found marriage records for their siblings but nothing for them. I only have family stories (which have turned out to be mostly untrue) about them but no solid information about when and where they married. They were definitely born in Sicily. I have seen the birth records online. They were definitely in Tunis (The baptism records of their two children) and the definitely emigrated to the United States but I cannot find the marriage record. Yes, I have searched the portale antenanti. 

Do the baptismal records from Tunis have information on the marriage? Should I order copies of them?

Is there any other source for marriage records in Tunis?

He is Salvatore Policastro B. 1880 in Ali, Messina Sicily. Parents Carmelo and Sebastiana Villegiante (or Villegiate). His sisters were married in Ali Messina in the early 1900s.
She is Guiseppa Celestina Greco (went by Celestina) b. 1889 in Marsala, Trapani, Sicily to parents Girolamo and Ignazia Lombardo. 

Their two children on the Geneanum site are Sebastiana Policastro baptized in 1907 and Carmelo Policastro baptized in 1909

I am open to insight on how to complete this search. I feel they would have married in Sicily. According to my mother, my ggranmother knew her mother in law and that her father wanted my GGrandfather to court the older sister (possibly Giacomina). But I don't know how they met or how their relationship proceeded. 

Thank you for any help you can provide.
  Répondre
Hi,

I think you are on the right track.

The baptisms could contain the town where the parents came from.

No, there isn't other online source (unless another descendant made the same tree). And we are missing many data around 1900s.

You could try asking the Tunis church for the marriage with a range of years, maybe they will make a little search.

Do you have search in Series II or Part C of the italian registry ?
The baptisms that took place in Tunisia had been transcribed in the home town (Series II Part C), usually at the end of each registry. Be carefull, sometimes the transcription was made many years later.

So if the marriage took place in Sicily, in Tunisia or USA, the marriage will be normally, in all case in the home town registry too.

I supposed you have already check Marsala and Ali ?

N.
  Répondre
(20-07-2022, 21:08)NSV a écrit : Hi,

I think you are on the right track.

The baptisms could contain the town where the parents came from.

No, there isn't other online source (unless another descendant made the same tree). And we are missing many data around 1900s.

You could try asking the Tunis church for the marriage with a range of years, maybe they will make a little search.

Do you have search in Series II or Part C of the italian registry ?
The baptisms that took place in Tunisia had been transcribed in the home town (Series II Part C), usually at the end of each registry. Be carefull, sometimes the transcription was made many years later.

So if the marriage took place in Sicily, in Tunisia or USA, the marriage will be normally, in all case in the home town registry too.

I supposed you have already check Marsala and Ali ?

N.

Thank you for replying! 

I’m not sure if I know what “series II or Part C” are? Are they separate records or is that information that is added later to the birth records? 

I Have been searching records on the family search site and the portale antenati of both Marsala and Ali. To be honest the records of Marsala are disorganized, damaged and not indexed. So I have been going page by page through thousands of records, but I don’t know if I’m looking in the right place. Ali is much easier. He is from Ali.  What type of record should I search for? I have seen the microfilm birth records for both GG. There doesn’t seem to be any updated information.

Oh I just looked up what part II is. I’m going to look.
  Répondre
Hi Jennifer,

On Geneanet, we have :

Girolamo GRECO

Décédé après 1891 - Marsala, Trapani, Sicilia, Italie

Union(s) et enfant(s)

Marié avec Ignazia LOMBARDO, décédée après 1891 - Marsala, Trapani, Sicilia, Italie dont
        F Maria GRECO ca 1875  Mariée le 15 juin 1891 (lundi), Marsala, Trapani, Sicilia, Italie, avec Giovanni PATTI ca 1870-1897
  Répondre
Thank you for the reply, Georges.

I will take a look at these records.. I have another record with his death. the marriage record sounds right.
I appreciate your help.
Thanks again,

Updated: I found the record of Marie and it looks like she is a great-grand aunt. Wow. She is much older than my great-grandmother.
Thank you very much!
  Répondre

Atteindre :

Utilisateur(s) parcourant ce sujet :