[Malte] Multiple names given at baptisms in Malta
Typically in the Geneanum Databases, especially in the marriages section, each person is shown as having only one given name: the husband's or wife's "First name"; also the parents of the couple being married have just one "First name" shown. However, when a person is baptized they are typically given several 2, 3, 4  or more  names. 
My question is: Is the "First name" of each person shown in the Database the first name in the list of names given at baptism, or is it the "Name by which the child is to be called" / "Isem jew ismijiet li bieh jew bihom it-tarbija ghanda tissejjah "? This isn't a trivial question because people might not use the first name as shown in the baptism register, but another one of their given names. I am guessing that the answer is an easy one: for instance, when people are married, the bride and groom (and their parents) use the "First name" they are to be called by, or that they actually use. Whether or not it's the first name on the baptism register is irrelevant. It would good if someone can confirm my guess, thank you.
This  naming question extends to another  problem for me when I try to find the birth of an ancestor whose name - the one they use and that people call that person - is not the same as any in the baptism record. For instance, the first name of  my great great grandmother was Eliza . None of her given names shown on her baptism record is anything like Eliza (or Elizabeth) . Any advice on how to tackle this problem gratefully received. 
Regards,
John
  Répondre
Hello,

We transcribe what it is written.
In baptisms records, there is usually 3 or 5 first names.
But in marriages records, there is usually only 1 first name.

Like you said : "Name by which the child is to be called" is the "rule".
Usually, the "first" first name is the usage name. But many times, it isn't.

Typically, common first name like Maria are often "replace" by others name.
From my experience (but it's not a rule), i see many times the usage of the third first name (because the first and the second are chosen for the family respect, the third is the true chosen by the parents).

Finding the death records can help to verify if it's the good person (matching the age of death and the dob).

N.
  Répondre
Citation :when people are married, the bride and groom (and their parents) use the "First name" they are to be called by, or that they actually use. Whether or not it's the first name on the baptism register is irrelevant.

I think all church records would use the official name given at birth, even if the person used their second name in every day life. For example, if a woman’s name at baptism was registered as ‘Maria Antonia’ her marriage record would show the same name, even if she was simply called Antonia by everyone. In certain church records, the baptism record of the woman would have a note added next to the name when she got married so as to have coherent records, I assume. The names would therefore be the same.  But maybe it depends on the parish?

But it is strange that she was called Eliza and none of her names were similar. What were the other names? 
  Répondre
Thank you, friends. These suggestions are very reassuring. I can see now how the first one or two names given at baptism might have been chosen out of wider family respect, including the sponsors ('patrini fuere...'). I can see now how three sisters were commonly called by their fourth, fifth and third names.

My ancestor commonly known as Elisa or Eliza was given the names Maria Carmela Catharina Luithgardes/Lucarda Theresia Antonia Paula at baptism. I suppose Theresia or Teresa is not so different from Elisa.
  Répondre
Was she from Gharb by any chance?
  Répondre

Atteindre :

Utilisateur(s) parcourant ce sujet : 1 visiteur(s)