[Malte] KENNEDY family
Exploring Geneanum has allowed for the Irishman, Daniel KENNEDY (or Kenedy), to be viewed as someone who adopted Malta as his home through marriage first to Teresa SCERRI in 1868, and finally to Maria TRIONFI in 1903, and his burial in 1923 in the crypt of St Francis, Rabat, Gozo. He was Chief Warder, Corradino Military Prison for many years, but chose not to be buried in a British military cemetery. Can anyone help me and others descended from Daniel KENNEDY to learn about his second wife, Amelia BARBARA, whom Daniel married around 1885 (after Teresa died) probably in or near Valletta, or if he and Amelia had any children?  I can find no trace in the database, which seems odd. Any advice welcome, thank you. John
  Répondre
(05-12-2020, 01:36)John Clemens a écrit : Exploring Geneanum has allowed for the Irishman, Daniel KENNEDY (or Kenedy), to be viewed as someone who adopted Malta as his home through marriage first to Teresa SCERRI in 1868, and finally to Maria TRIONFI in 1903, and his burial in 1923 in the crypt of St Francis, Rabat, Gozo. He was Chief Warder, Corradino Military Prison for many years, but chose not to be buried in a British military cemetery. Can anyone help me and others descended from Daniel KENNEDY to learn about his second wife, Amelia BARBARA, whom Daniel married around 1885 (after Teresa died) probably in or near Valletta, or if he and Amelia had any children?  I can find no trace in the database, which seems odd. Any advice welcome, thank you. John
John,
Have you seen this thread? 
Theresa
  https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.ph...c=656411.0
  Répondre
Looking back at the "husband's observations" on the Geneanum record of Daniel KENNEDY's 3rd marriage in 1903 to Maria TRIONFI, I see "de Tarxien - veuf 1° de Teresa XERRI - 2° de Amelia BARBARA", so maybe the record of DK's marriage around mid- late 1880s to Amelia BARBARA - and of the death/burial of Teresa SCERRI just before - are contained in the Tarxien Parish register. According to a recent email from the Tarxien Parish Archivist, the Parish's records have not been digitised (although permission can be obtained to view them on site). This might explain the absence of these marriage / burial records from the Geneanum databases.
  Répondre
John,
Theresa

There is a MacTavish tree on Ancestry that has your Daniel, Margaret and Henry. It has Teresa Scerri as Elisa. There is the birth of a son to Henry and Margaret - Edward Alfred (Ted) was born on April 15, 1903, in Malta at Corradino Casal Paola.

Other info from the MacTavish tree. Margaret Emily Elizabeth Kennedy was born on September 18, 1869, in Malta to Elisa Scerri and Daniel Kennedy. Margaret Emily Elizabeth Kennedy married Henry Baker in Malta on December 25, 1889, when she was 20 years old. Henry was a Sapper ( Army Engineer) in the British Army. Margaret Emily Elizabeth Kennedy died in 1932 in Malta when she was 63 years old. Her husband Henry passed away in 1932 in Malta at the age of 65. They had been married 43 years. Henry: born on March 31, 1867, in Truro, Cornwall to Mary Ann Baker, age 25, and Benjamin Baker, age 26. Says henry became a policeman.

Margaret Kennedy is in 8 family trees on Ancestry

One of the trees says that Emilia Barbara (B. 1853 Cospicua) died 25 May 1903 (Ref act#1947/1903). Her parents: Giuseppe and Paola. He married Maria Antonia TRIONFI in Malta on December 15, 1904, when he was 61 years old. There is a Reference: act# 11/1904 for the marriage.
  Répondre
(06-12-2020, 02:59)theresagrima a écrit : John,
Theresa

There is a MacTavish tree on Ancestry that has your Daniel, Margaret and Henry. It has Teresa Scerri as Elisa. There is the birth of a son to Henry and Margaret - Edward Alfred (Ted) was born on April 15, 1903, in Malta at Corradino Casal Paola.

Other info from the MacTavish tree.  Margaret Emily Elizabeth Kennedy was born on September 18, 1869, in Malta to Elisa Scerri and Daniel Kennedy. Margaret Emily Elizabeth Kennedy married Henry Baker in Malta on December 25, 1889, when she was 20 years old. Henry was a Sapper ( Army Engineer) in the British Army. Margaret Emily Elizabeth Kennedy died in 1932 in Malta when she was 63 years old. Her husband Henry passed away in 1932 in Malta at the age of 65. They had been married 43 years. Henry: born on March 31, 1867, in Truro, Cornwall to Mary Ann Baker, age 25, and Benjamin Baker, age 26. Says henry became a policeman.

Margaret Kennedy is in 8 family trees on Ancestry

One of the trees says that Emilia Barbara (B. 1853 Cospicua) died 25 May 1903 (Ref act#1947/1903). Her parents: Giuseppe and Paola.  He married Maria Antonia TRIONFI in Malta on December 15, 1904, when he was 61 years old. There is a Reference: act# 11/1904 for the marriage.

Thank you, Theresa. Yes, I have seen these references having worked on the Margaret / Caroline / Elizabeth daughters of Daniel Kennedy and Teresa Scerri. Margaret's my great grandmother. Are we related?
I think I have searched for Amelia Barbara's parents' marriage, Giuseppe and Paola (when married, when Amelia born etc.) but without luck. I'm not sure where that parentage info comes from. If we knew their marriage day, we could trace back ancestry using a Maltese marriage certificate from the Register Office, which are wonderfully detailed, as I did with Teresa Scerri. Good to know you are an interested researcher! John
  Répondre
Hi John. No, I'm not related. Just took an interest in your query. When researching my family I have occasionally used a genealogist in Malta. Especially if I get stuck or if I become obsessed with wanting to broaden my family information. He is currently working on another project for me. BTW. Do you use the Geneanet site? I find it useful. Cheers. Theresa
  Répondre
(06-12-2020, 06:52)theresagrima a écrit : Hi John. No, I'm not related. Just took an interest in your query. When researching my family I have occasionally used a genealogist in Malta. Especially if I get stuck or if I become obsessed with wanting to broaden my family information. He is currently working on another project for me. BTW. Do you use the Geneanet site? I find it useful. Cheers. Theresa

Hi Theresa. No, I hadn't used Geneanet, but it looks promising. I'm glad to hear someone else frankly use the word "obsessed", which is somewhat my condition, though I think of myself as "driven" by the records themselves, as if they were demanding attention, waiting to be found. I regret not becoming obsessed before my aged mother died. She is the one who initially wanted to get to the bottom of the Daniel Kennedy story.  
Can you recommend a researching genealogist in Malta who would read through hard copy parish records for me (Tarxien 1880-1905), or, if you would prefer not to do that, can you recommend how I would go about choosing one, pls? All the best, John
  Répondre
Hello John,

I like your framing as being driven by the records -demanding attention. I'll have to use that line. HA Ha.

I'm happy to recommend the genealogist I use. His name is David Lanfranco. The family have been doing this work for many years. I have seen some posts where people complain that he does not get back to them. I've never had this problem. But maybe it's because my cousin and I first engaged him in person when we were in Malta in 2017. Although others also speak highly of him. I'm happy for you say I recommended him, although I have no idea if I hold any sway. "Theresa Grima from Australia". Here's link to the site http://www.genealogyservicesmalta.com/

Start by providing him with the basics of what you have. Birth, Marriage, Deaths. And then be specific about what you want from him. They generally charge a fee based on an event, one marriage cost set amount. They have a massive private collection of archives.

Also, have you checked out the Archdiocese Archives? It takes a while to work out how to use it. And then you just need patience and time to search. And work out key Latin terms. http://archives.maltadiocese.org/ One of the challenges is that the records for some parishes are listed with another parish depending on when the event occurred.

Geneanet has two levels. Free and paid. The paid option is not that expensive.

All the best with your search.

Theresa
  Répondre
Hello Theresa, [from Australia, no less. I lived in Sydney in the 70s-80s after escaping the UK, and before moving to NZ (further still from UK); I have family living in Sydney.]
Thank you very much for recommending your researcher. I'll frame a question about Amelia BARBARA to put to him.
Now I'm intrigued by your reference to the Archdiocese Archives of Malta. I have indeed trawled the Malta Archdiocese Archive. I take it, this is the one where you can review a photo of an original page, one at a time, each time having to call up a zoom view because the first view of each page is too difficult to read. It is time consuming, but the sense of the life of the people of the period jumps off the pages.
You say "the records for some parishes are listed with another parish depending on when the event occurred". In fact, I had thought that this might be the case because some parishes are just plain missing from their Archive, which was odd. However, I could not find any Parish in their Archive close enough to Tarxien to persuade me to do more trawling, potentially for no return.
I will go back and have another look, with renewed intent. Tarxien Parish office is happy for me to visit, and I'm pretty sure the Archdiocese told me that they do not have records for Tarxien. Perhaps they meant they do not keep the originals. I'll find the right "period" (British Colonial, I think) and work through "locations" reasonably close to Tarxien. Paolo Parish told me all their records pre-1900 are held by Tarxien Parish.
Happy searching and thanks heaps for your advice.
John from NZ
  Répondre
Download this file. Guide to Searching Maltese Ancestors. A paper from some years back. See last page https://www.researchgate.net/publication...b/download
  Répondre

Atteindre :

Utilisateur(s) parcourant ce sujet : 1 visiteur(s)