[Malte] A thank you
I would like to take pause to congratulate and thank the tireless, hard-working people who have located, understood, and transcribed the information in church records into the Geneanum database, especially the marriage information. 
The marriage certificate (obtained from the helpful people at the Maltese Registry) of my great great grandmother, Teresa SCERRI, was the key that allowed me to unlock the Geneanum database to go back up to 8-9 generations in my whakapapa / ancestry. My earliest ancestor seems to be Zaccaria PSAILA, father of Imperia PSAILA who married Giovanni / John ATTARD on Gozo in 1571. 
Some other lineages are more difficult to explore. For instance, when one or both of the names of the Mother of the Husband, and/or Mother of the Bride are not recorded for a particular marriage it is hard to be sure how to proceed with any kind of certainty. Does anyone have any advice on how to resolve two or more potentially correct marriages when we don't have all four of the parents' names? Maybe baptism records showing parents' full names would help.    Thanks once again !
  Répondre
Bonjour Nicolas
peux tu lui demander les renseignements complémentaires qu'il a pu obtenir pour que nous puissions compléter la base geneanum
merci
Cordialement
christiane
  Répondre
Hi John,

May I ask you to transmit to Christiane the marriage certificate(s) you got from the Parishes, in order she can update the Geneanum data base.
Thanks.
  Répondre
(24-06-2020, 04:59)christiane Charrel a écrit : Bonjour Nicolas
peux tu lui demander les renseignements complémentaires qu'il a pu obtenir pour que nous puissions compléter la base geneanum
merci

Hello Team. 

I will attach one page that sets out my problem. I think this is what Christiane has requested, though Nicolas. 
Please get in touch if I have confused you.
Regards,
John

Pièces jointes
.docx   Example of ancestry research problem from John Clemens, Forum Member.docx (Taille : 16.28 Ko / Téléchargements : 6)
  Répondre
Well received. Thanks John.
  Répondre
(24-06-2020, 04:59)christiane Charrel a écrit : Bonjour Nicolas
merci

Hello Christiane,
For me, the key to the Geneanum Database was a marriage record of an ancestor that I could not find in the Database, neither her birth, her marriage or her parents. But I obtained a copy of her detailed marriage certificate from the Maltese Registry once I knew her exact marriage date. I got this by first obtaining an inferior marriage certificate from the British Registry in London because the marriage is of an Irish soldier, Daniel KENNEDY, and a Maltese woman, Teresa SCERRI (or "Terry" as the British preferred!). The Maltese certificate is attached. Crucially it shows my great great grandmother's parents' names, thence into the Database. It has been so much fun and emotionally very moving to trace back my Maltese roots to close to the sacking of Gozo in 1551. Thank you.
Sorry, too many words. Marriage Certificate attached.
Regards,
John

Pièces jointes Miniature(s)

Répondre
John,

Christiane thanks you for the certificate.
  Répondre
John

It is very exciting to discover a marriage certificate that gives you more names and information about your ancestors! I also ordered the marriage certificate of my great grandparents, after getting help from the wonderful people on here! My GGF was in the British Navy and married a Maltese woman. I was interested to read that you obtained the first certificate from the British Registry in London. It makes me wonder if I can also find more information about my ancestor from the British Registry. (I believe Malta was under British rule back then.) Do they have a searchable online site, or do you have to physically go there in London? I am in Canada so that would not be possible.

Carol
  Répondre
(27-06-2020, 14:29)q24angel a écrit : John

It is very exciting to discover a marriage certificate that gives you more names and information about your ancestors! I also ordered the marriage certificate of my great grandparents, after getting help from the wonderful people on here! My GGF was in the British Navy and married a Maltese woman. I was interested to read that you obtained the first certificate from the British Registry in London. It makes me wonder if I can also find more information about my ancestor from the British Registry. (I believe Malta was under British rule back then.) Do they have a searchable online site, or do you have to physically go there in London? I am in Canada so that would not be possible.

Carol

Hello, Carol. So glad to know of another person out trying to search similar histories! Right: I looked through Geneanum and - amazing - found my GG grandfather's 3rd marriage record and this showed the names of his 1st and 2nd wives, but their marriage details were not in the database. [I'm descended from the 1st marriage between GGGF and my GGGM Teresa Scerri.]  I was stuck. I looked at the following website, especially the link about "Mixed marriages" and "Maltese Brides":
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Mal...gy_Records
This showed me the marriage of my GGGF's daughter, which confirmed the name of her mother, Teresa Scerri, but I was still stuck.
From here I went to Find My Past. This amazing database had my GGGF marrying one of 3-4 women in 1868-69, and one of them was "Theresa Terry".
Next I asked General Registry Office in London for the marriage certificate of my GGGF and "Theresa Terry" for 1868-69.  This showed the date of  his marriage to "Theresa Terry", which is essential to get a copy of the Maltese certificate of the same marriage.
Next I asked the Maltese Registry for this certificate, and - eureka! - it arrived complete with her proper name, Teresa Scerri, and her parents names.
Using my GGGM's parents names I searched Geneanum for their marriage, and there it was.
From there, I went back through the Maltese ancestry. Quite a journey, but worth it.
If this is confusing, please ask me to clarify. I'm an amateur, making it up as I stumble along.
John
  Répondre

Atteindre :

Utilisateur(s) parcourant ce sujet : 1 visiteur(s)