[Malte] Caruana Ancestors
Good morning,

Firstly, I'd like to thank you for this interesting project, which so far has been really helpful to trace my family tree.

This brings me to a very interesting question, which you might be able to help me with.

I've been trying to complete the family tree from the Caruana side of the family. However, I got stuck in the following record:

Pietro Caruana married Giovanna Grech (10-05-183). In the geneanum.com site, Giovanna's parents are listed as Lorenzo Grech and Maria Bugeja. There is no reference to Pietro's parents, apart from a note which states that Pietro might have been from Porto Salvo Parish Church in Valletta.

When I checked this record at the Gozo Cathedral, I managed to find a letter in the marriage register, which seems to indicate that Pietro had changed his name and surname from Michele Zammit to Pietro Caruana.

His parents are recorded as Francesco and Anna. By any chance do you have any information as to how I can trace back Pietro's parents' marriage certificate. I tried to call the Porto Salvo Parish Church but to no avail.

At this point I'm not sure whether Pietro's father was Francesco Caruana or Francesco Zammit.

Thanks so much & regards,

Maria
  Répondre
Good morning,

I'm new to the group. I have been searching the records for the marriage between Pietro Caruana and Joanna Grech who were wed on 10-05-1831 (Matrice Gozo). Pietro's parents are recorded as being Francesco and Anna (maiden surname is not recorded)and it indicates that they were from Porto Salvo. However, in the actual marriage register, there was a loose note stating that the name of the husband (referring to Pietro Caruana)was originally Michele Zammiet and that with the bishop's permission, it was being changed to Pietro Caruana. I've been trying to search for the birth certificate of Pietro Caruana or a Michele Zammit but with no success. I also tried to trace the marriage certificate between Francesco and Anna , however, I am not sure whether the surname would be Zammit or Caruana. It would be appreciated if you could check whether you have any additional records which might be linked either to Pietro Caruana's birth certificate (could be Michele Zammit)or a marriage between Francesco (Caruana or Zammit)and Anna. I tried to get information from Porto Salvo church but to no avail. It would be appreciated if you could suggest any possibilities on how to trace back the Caruana line further.

Thanks.
  Répondre

Atteindre :

Utilisateur(s) parcourant ce sujet : 1 visiteur(s)