[Malte] Multiple names given at baptisms in Malta
Typically in the Geneanum Databases, especially in the marriages section, each person is shown as having only one given name: the husband's or wife's "First name"; also the parents of the couple being married have just one "First name" shown. However, when a person is baptized they are typically given several 2, 3, 4  or more  names. 
My question is: Is the "First name" of each person shown in the Database the first name in the list of names given at baptism, or is it the "Name by which the child is to be called" / "Isem jew ismijiet li bieh jew bihom it-tarbija ghanda tissejjah "? This isn't a trivial question because people might not use the first name as shown in the baptism register, but another one of their given names. I am guessing that the answer is an easy one: for instance, when people are married, the bride and groom (and their parents) use the "First name" they are to be called by, or that they actually use. Whether or not it's the first name on the baptism register is irrelevant. It would good if someone can confirm my guess, thank you.
This  naming question extends to another  problem for me when I try to find the birth of an ancestor whose name - the one they use and that people call that person - is not the same as any in the baptism record. For instance, the first name of  my great great grandmother was Eliza . None of her given names shown on her baptism record is anything like Eliza (or Elizabeth) . Any advice on how to tackle this problem gratefully received. 
Regards,
John
  Répondre

Messages dans ce sujet
Multiple names given at baptisms in Malta - par John Clemens - 23-03-2021, 08:16

Atteindre :

Utilisateur(s) parcourant ce sujet : 1 visiteur(s)