[Malte] A thank you
(27-06-2020, 14:29)q24angel a écrit : John

It is very exciting to discover a marriage certificate that gives you more names and information about your ancestors! I also ordered the marriage certificate of my great grandparents, after getting help from the wonderful people on here! My GGF was in the British Navy and married a Maltese woman. I was interested to read that you obtained the first certificate from the British Registry in London. It makes me wonder if I can also find more information about my ancestor from the British Registry. (I believe Malta was under British rule back then.) Do they have a searchable online site, or do you have to physically go there in London? I am in Canada so that would not be possible.

Carol

Hello, Carol. So glad to know of another person out trying to search similar histories! Right: I looked through Geneanum and - amazing - found my GG grandfather's 3rd marriage record and this showed the names of his 1st and 2nd wives, but their marriage details were not in the database. [I'm descended from the 1st marriage between GGGF and my GGGM Teresa Scerri.]  I was stuck. I looked at the following website, especially the link about "Mixed marriages" and "Maltese Brides":
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Mal...gy_Records
This showed me the marriage of my GGGF's daughter, which confirmed the name of her mother, Teresa Scerri, but I was still stuck.
From here I went to Find My Past. This amazing database had my GGGF marrying one of 3-4 women in 1868-69, and one of them was "Theresa Terry".
Next I asked General Registry Office in London for the marriage certificate of my GGGF and "Theresa Terry" for 1868-69.  This showed the date of  his marriage to "Theresa Terry", which is essential to get a copy of the Maltese certificate of the same marriage.
Next I asked the Maltese Registry for this certificate, and - eureka! - it arrived complete with her proper name, Teresa Scerri, and her parents names.
Using my GGGM's parents names I searched Geneanum for their marriage, and there it was.
From there, I went back through the Maltese ancestry. Quite a journey, but worth it.
If this is confusing, please ask me to clarify. I'm an amateur, making it up as I stumble along.
John
  Répondre

Messages dans ce sujet
A thank you - par John Clemens - 24-06-2020, 00:51
RE: A thank you - par christiane Charrel - 24-06-2020, 04:59
RE: A thank you - par John Clemens - 24-06-2020, 10:13
RE: A thank you - par Gander Georges - 24-06-2020, 09:32
RE: A thank you - par Gander Georges - 24-06-2020, 10:22
RE: A thank you - par Gander Georges - 24-06-2020, 15:35
RE: A thank you - par q24angel - 27-06-2020, 14:29
RE: A thank you - par John Clemens - 28-06-2020, 06:25

Atteindre :

Utilisateur(s) parcourant ce sujet : 1 visiteur(s)