[Malte] Caruana - Hamrun - late 1800s
I was just a sent a link to Geneanum.com - great to find a resource online for Maltese ancestry.

My interest is in a Maria Anna Caruana.

She is the mother of my Great Grandmother - Josephine Antonia Mary-Anne Norton. Josephine was born 19 Sept 1893 in Hamrun. She was baptised 24 Sept 1893 at St Cajetan Church, Hamrun. On the baptism it gives her father as John Norton and her mother Mary Anne Caruana. One of the sponsors on the baptismal note is Rosina Caruana (I don't know what relation she is to Mary Anne.

I also have a marriage certificate for Josephine. She marries my Great Grandfather - Lewis Alphonso Grant in Valletta on 8th Aug 1911. The certificate is in Italian and she is entered as Giuseppa Norton and her father is entered as Giovanni Norton vivo (profession is Militare), and her mother Maria Anna Caruana morta (profession is Lavandaja).

So her mother is deceased according this certificate before 8 Aug 1911.

I have no information about her mother and father and wonder if anyone can help me find them? Where do I look? Caruana seems to be a common surname on Geneanum.com, and John Norton is also quite common. There don't appear to be many entries on geneanum.com for the parish of Hamrun. Is that because they are missing or damaged?

I have looked for information on births to military personnel in Malta but can find nothing for John Norton. I don't even know if John Norton and Maria Anna Caruana were married.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this has been one of my major brick walls for the past 30 years that I have been researching my family history.
  Répondre
hello

we have nearly nothing concerning Hamrun

you will have to ask through this site :

https://secure2.gov.mt/certifikati/

at least for 2 générations before you will be able to connect to the dates shown on genearum

you pay for by credit card, if they cannot find it you will be refunded in a few days

no need to know the 'exact dates, they will find it - it starts from 1863 or 67 ? i cannot remenber

Josyanne
  Répondre

Atteindre :

Utilisateur(s) parcourant ce sujet : 1 visiteur(s)