[Malte] Question regarding standard of proof for genealogy - SOLTANA
Hello everyone,

I have been trying to search my direct paternal SULTANA / SOLTANA line back as far back as I can find evidence.

The furthest evidence I have found of a marriage is in the ADAMI archives, which records the marriage of Giovanni SOLTANA (from Gozo) and Margarita MINTUF on the 07/10/1629 in Porto Salvo Parish (Valetta) (attached below). 

The marriage record lists the parents of Giovanni as Nicolo SOLTANA and Giulia, and the parents of Margarita as Giulio MINTUF and Gioannella.

Now from here is where I try to separate FACT from FICTION. 

Numerous sites state that Nicolo's original surname was SAGONA, and that he changed it to SOLTANA as part of the deal in marriage (such as maltageneaology.com).

Furthermore, some sites state that Giulia's father was a former African slave named Antonio MICALLEF. It appears that there is a death record for an Antonio in the GM on the 02/01/1617 in Rabat-Gozo (also attached below). I also see that NSV and Mr Georges have commented on this individual in a previous forum post.

My question is from where could I possibly look to verify this? I will try to search for further marriages in the ADAMI Archives. The claims regarding the Marriage of Nicolo SOLTANA (SAGONA?) And Giulia seem to be based on the previously mentioned marriage deal. Surely this seems too specific to be a modern fabrication, or perhaps I am giving maltageneaology.com the benefit of the doubt?

Looks,

Joshua sultana

Pièces jointes Miniature(s)

Répondre

Messages dans ce sujet
Question regarding standard of proof for genealogy - SOLTANA - par joshthom - 18-09-2021, 06:21

Atteindre :

Utilisateur(s) parcourant ce sujet : 1 visiteur(s)