[Malte] Church Records
Hi there,

I am a teenager from Australia who has been very interested in my genealogy. I have traced my Maltese Ancestors pretty far back with the help of my Nanna and with some aid from the Public Registry's certificates. The only question I had was if records from Mellieha would be available on geneanum.com. Either Marriage or Baptism records as most of my Maltese ancestors came from Mellieha. I have gotten to a point past 1863 where I can no longer rely on the public registry but church records. Is there any other way I could get some more information to go further and will Mellieha records be available online since I am not in Malta?

Thank you so much!
  Répondre
Hello,

Mellieha is a parish since 1844. So before this date, all church events were registed elsewhere.

Unfortunately, we have very few data on this parish.
You can contact the church by email

There is no other town specified in your certificate ?

What do you search exactly ?

Do you know the Facebook page : https://m.facebook.com/groups/723846824298737/
There are many australians on it

N.
  Répondre
(09-08-2022, 14:17)NSV a écrit : Hello,

Mellieha is a parish since 1844. So before this date, all church events were registed elsewhere.

Unfortunately, we have very few data on this parish.
You can contact the church by email

There is no other town specified in your certificate ?

What do you search exactly ?

Do you know the Facebook page : https://m.facebook.com/groups/723846824298737/
There are many australians on it

N.

Thank you for your help and the fast reply. I am basically in a point of my research where I know my ancestors from late 1860s-1880s. I have found all of their information due to my findings in the certificates from the public registry. All were born and lived in Mellieha. I however cannot search further with the public registry as it has only begun in 1863. 

I will attach a copy of the part in my family tree that I am talking about. All boxes highlighted in yellow are my ancestors and the white ones are their siblings. All Ancestors in yellow were born and raised in Mellieha. 

Répondre
Yes, there is a gap between 1844 and 1863, 19 years that is not available online.

It's many years but not so much, less than a generation. So you will be able to jump.
For example, Andrea SAMMUT wasn't baptized in Mellieha because he must be baptized before 1844 and Mellieha was not a parish at this time. Could be the same for his wedding.

Do you have the marriage certificate of Gio Maria Sammut and Carmela VELLA ?
And so the name of their mothers ?

N.
  Répondre
(10-08-2022, 12:09)NSV a écrit : Yes, there is a gap between 1844 and 1863, 19 years that is not available online.

It's many years but not so much, less than a generation. So you will be able to jump.
For example, Andrea SAMMUT wasn't baptized in Mellieha because he must be baptized before 1844 and Mellieha was not a parish at this time. Could be the same for his wedding.

Do you have the marriage certificate of Gio Maria Sammut and Carmela VELLA ?
And so the name of their mothers ?

N.

Unfortunately I do not have their marriage certificate. I think once I obtain their marriage certificate I can continue but since I am in Australia it is hard contacting Mellieha parish about such records. I have emailed them in the past with no response unfortunately. I do not know their mothers names either. Gio Maria and Carmela’s son, Giuseppe is the certificate I have where I was able to calculate the ages of his parents and his paternal grandfathers. It is a bit tricky to fill in this gap after all but I would like to know how I can gain at least Gio Maria Sammut and Carmela Vella marriage certificate as well as Giovanni Cini and Maria Bonanno certificate and the other two couples on that generation line. I think it would definitely be much easier if I were in Malta. Is there any other way to gain this sort of information? Would I need to hire a genealogist or something similar?
  Répondre
Gio Maria Sammut and Carmela VELLA had to be married after 1863.
Do you try to ask this marriage to the public registry ?

Do you search on ancestry, Geneanet,...these people ?
maybe you have cousin that have already done some of your genealogy.

No, it will not be very much easier in Malta. Some priest doesn't accept any demand even direct one.

For a professionnal genealogist, there is only one in Malta : http://www.genealogyservicesmalta.com/
  Répondre
I will try to order their marriage certificates from the public registry. Thank you for all your help
  Répondre

Atteindre :

Utilisateur(s) parcourant ce sujet : 1 visiteur(s)