[Malte] Valletta churches for marriages and baptisms
Dear researchers, I have a question:
In the 1830-1870 period, do you know if it was common practice that while marriages might be celebrated in Porto Salvo, Valletta, baptisms would commonly occur in St Paul's Shipwreck (Le Naufrage) Collegiate Church, Valletta ? 
For example, Francesco XERRI and Margarita BORG were married in Porto Salvo on 14 Feb 1830. In the Malta Archdiocese Archives I have found baptism records of several children born to these parents (or at least to parents with these names) between 1831 and 1847, but they are recorded as occurring in St. Paul's Shipwreck Collegiate Church, not in Porto Salvo. This seems odd especially as one of their daughters, Teresa XERRI, was married in Porto Salvo, Valletta on 1 Sep 1868.
No baptisms appear to have been held in Porto Salvo after 1805 - unless the records have not been digitised.
I would be grateful if anyone can answer my question and correct me.
John
  Répondre
Hello John,

I'm not sure of the answer in your instances. However, it was usual practice for the marriage to occur in the bride's parish. Children would be baptised in the parish the family normally attends or where the family resides. So, a marriage might happen at Porto Salvo but the family live in the area cover by St Paul's. I see in Geneanum it is noted that Francesco is from St Paul's parish. So am guessing that the he and Margarita lived in that part of Valletta. This would explain the reason for the baptisms at St Paul's. 

Someone else might be better placed to clarify which records have been digitised. 

Regards,
Theresa

(21-02-2022, 23:54)John Clemens a écrit : Dear researchers, I have a question:
In the 1830-1870 period, do you know if it was common practice that while marriages might be celebrated in Porto Salvo, Valletta, baptisms would commonly occur in St Paul's Shipwreck (Le Naufrage) Collegiate Church, Valletta ? 
For example, Francesco XERRI and Margarita BORG were married in Porto Salvo on 14 Feb 1830. In the Malta Archdiocese Archives I have found baptism records of several children born to these parents (or at least to parents with these names) between 1831 and 1847, but they are recorded as occurring in St. Paul's Shipwreck Collegiate Church, not in Porto Salvo. This seems odd especially as one of their daughters, Teresa XERRI, was married in Porto Salvo, Valletta on 1 Sep 1868.
No baptisms appear to have been held in Porto Salvo after 1805 - unless the records have not been digitised.
I would be grateful if anyone can answer my question and correct me.
John
  Répondre
Thank you, Theresa ! That is an elegant explanation supported by the Geneanum evidence for my ancestors. I shall proceed with new understanding.
John
  Répondre

Atteindre :

Utilisateur(s) parcourant ce sujet : 1 visiteur(s)