[Malte] Re : CALLUS & FARRUGIA - Casal Crendi/Zurrieq
Josyanne,

I have seen interpretations of maestro as being equivalent to 'master',  as in master tailor, carpenter etc.  This fitted in with the European tradition of the time.  Of course like most things Maltese dating back to before a proper history of the people this is just an interpretation.

Regards. Ed
  Répondre
Yes that looks like a logical interpretation. I have only seen it before referring to musicians, e.g. composers, conducters etc but Master is a broader interpretation.

Thank you.
  Répondre
Thank you once again for all this information. It is really interesting.

Looking once again at the 1681 census for Crendi, I now see Antoni and Francesca Tabone (from the Will)next door to Joseph and Marietta Callus. There is another Callus - Alonso and Angelica the other side but I haven't been able to work out the relationship.

Bartolomea Callus - on the Will it says she is the widow of Battista Grech but Geneanum marriages have record that married to Gio Battista Verrela son of Carlo at Porto Salvo in 1671 (the bapt slave)but 10-Sept 1689 when she marries again to Pietro Paulo Vella at Porto Salvo, this says she is widow of Carlo Battandi. There is therefore some confusion in the records.

Also there is something curious about birth of Giovanni to Pasquale Callus and Angela Farrugia in 1596. He is baptised 20 Oct 1596 but his father remarried Caterinella Camilleri 08 Sept 1596. I can only assume Giovanni was actually born a few months earlier and his father remarried quickly to cope with his baby son! I cannot find a death record for Angela.

Also cannot find death for Caterina Callus nee Bugeja c. 1640-2. Are these only held in the parish church?

Great progress anyway. Thank you.
  Répondre
Yes you are right

iI had thought that the wife dying probably the same day ? it took the father some time to take care of the bapt ??

as for the 'God's parents' they were rarelly from the familly in those days, rather more the chap next door and his wife ........

Josyanne
  Répondre

Atteindre :

Utilisateur(s) parcourant ce sujet : 1 visiteur(s)